Information on:

Lonesome Pine School and Heritage Center

Lonesome Pine School and Heritage Center
511 Clinton Avenue
276-523-1111

History:

The Lonesome Pine School and Heritage Center was conceived as a place to preserve the history of our local schools. During the 1980's Garnett Gilliam began collecting photographs and other historical artifacts related to Big Stone Gap and the surrounding area. As his collection grew Garnett began looking for a place to display it for others to see. In 2002 the June Tolliver house provided two rooms for the school memorabilia. As the community became aware of his collection and offers of additional items had to be refused it became evident additional space would be needed. A committee was formed and James Maurice Fraley, an ardent supporter began a fund raising campaign to build a place to preserve our school's history. His personal donation and fund raising support enabled the project to get off the ground. George Dalton, a local photographer, also announced his support by donating his photographic collection. In September of 2006 the Lonesome Pine Arts and Crafts association offered an old house which was being used as a storage area for the Lonesome Pine Outdoor Drama to the committee as a site for the proposed museum. Remodeling began in November of 2006 and the center opened on May 26, 2007.


Lonesome Pine School and Heritage Center is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media